Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Journey Through MS


When any of us first encounter a life altering state of health the first reaction is often one of fear and resistance; a battle ensues.
In retrospect,  encounters with significant illness mark a point of change that start an individual on a new path;  a path with challenges and discoveries.  A path that reshapes your being. In short, the gift of a new richer perspective in life.
This was my experience with MS. In 1998 i was diagnosed with an aggressive, progressive form of MS. The condition left me exhausted. Physically I lost all fine motor movement and walking was becoming increasingly difficult. I lost all sense of where my body began. Unless I was actually looking at them I had no idea of where my hands and arms were. At night I would soak through the linens with sweat. My symptoms were advancing rapidly. Doctors predicted a year before I would be confined to a wheelchair.
Exhausted I withdrew from the fullness of the life that my husband and I had created. At that time we lived on a 40’ sailboat in the idyllic waters of Vancouver Island. We ran a mothership kayaking eco-tourism business in the summer and in the winter months I worked as a Registered Nurse.
For me the prospect of not being able to hike mountains and sail across oceans was soul crushing. To have my thirst for adventure imprisoned was horrifying. As an RN I knew what to expect with conventional medicine, an outcome that I was determined to avoid.
The Path Less Travelled.
Thus began my journey. With the support of my family I dove into research and created my own course of treatment. The path I took included the designing of a diet that supported every aspect of my nutritional needs and excluded anything that was detrimental. A régime of; herbal teas and tinctures, a 5 month intensive course of acupuncture, Reiki, hours of meditation and prayer, removal of mercury fillings and heavy metal chelation.
Basically my treatment plan centred on cleansing my body, mind and energetic being and then giving all of those aspects optimal support. In this way I set the stage to give ‘the healer within’ every advantage to become whole and well again.
After 8 months of intensive treatment and exploring alternatives, my health was once more vigorous. Contrary to Doctors’ predictions of sitting out life in a wheelchair, my family and I set sail and went cruising for three years in the South Pacific.
Where is the Gift?
You might be asking yourself, “Where is the ‘gift’ in all of that?”
Going through the experience of acupuncture , of a strict diet, body work, all of it. I got to experience how my body responded on a daily basis. I discovered for myself that there is an energetic factor at play. I could feel my own energy…it’s rise and fall with various treatments. I learned to trust my body and to listen to it. Knowing something on the experiential level is far more impactful than learning about it from a textbook.
 This ‘language of the body’ revolutionized how I looked at health care. The conventional means that I had spent years training in felt stagnant.
My gift, is coming to understand that we each have an inner healer, that our body’s own intelligence is the surest route back to wellness.
 All of the homeostatic mechanisms that define life are meant to be supported. This is where wellness and prevention lie.
This journey has defined my purpose in life. I am a healer, and what being a healer means is that I help other’s to mobilize the healer within them. I don’t actually do any ‘healing’ I support an individual’s own exploration of the mind-body connection and guide them in supporting their own ‘inner healer’.
As an RN my role was one of intervention. I treated ‘patients’. I treated their bodies and manipulated with pharmaceuticals and surgery. The whole concept of supporting and empowering an individual in their healing is foreign to conventional medicine. I’ve gone from a place of power over another to a place of empowering others.
This then is my gift. To begin to understand the synergy of our bodies, our minds, our spirits and the foundational role of energy binding us holistically together as a being that encompasses all of this magnificence”
Another turn in the Path.
After many adventures we returned to Vancouver Island, this time living in a house. Here, I run a successful practice as a Reflexologist, Instructor, and Reiki Master in Sooke BC.
In 2008 I began to have a recurrence in symptoms, differing symptoms that I approached with the same tools that I had come to trust. My health improved but I couldn’t restore full use of my right leg. Again it looked as if my hiking days were coming to an end. A friend introduced me to a new energy tool. With skeptical curiosity I experimented. 
This is my experience with Zero point energy:
“For a period of about two years I had begun having some numbness in both my feet and a decrease in sensation. Enough to be noticeable but nothing that was altering my lifestyle. In retrospect I believe that my energy level was beginning to slide as well. After sometime I also began to lose some balance and then strength. Finally I realized that I was being very cautious on any uneven terrain. I could no longer lift my right leg high enough to clear any obstacle over a few inches high. This was making hiking very awkward. My eyesight was also giving me increasing problems.  My vision would become ‘foggy’ with exertion. Another MRI showed that my initial lesions (myelin sheath denuding) had healed but there were a new bunch present. I began having regular body work, and acupuncture, herbs and tinctures and improved my diet. Many of the symptoms corrected to being tolerable but my right leg was still limiting me. I couldn’t lift it beyond a few inches.
My first encounter with zero-point energy was through a client, another person with MS. I had seen some amazing progress in her in a few short days so my curiosity was piqued.
During a session that I was giving to her I wore a zero-point energy pendant that was apparently emitting a field of zero-point energy. The effects were subtle but profound. At the time there were a great number of stress factors in play within my household which I was pretty reactive to. After having worn the pendant for an hour I noticed that I had moved from a position of being reactive to one of being responsive. It was like I was once more grounded and centered with the inner strength to creatively problem solve. I was no longer reacting from a stressed-out frame of mind.
Next, I experienced a full body wanding. I felt absolutely nothing. A few hours later I noticed that I was lifting my right leg a little more. As I experimented I found I could easily raise my foot onto the dining room table. I had full range of motion restored. I was truly amazed. Not amazed that energy could work in such a way. I was amazed that such a simple tool had been created and that it worked. I immediately purchased these remarkable energy tools and now incorporate them into my life and into my practice.
It is a true joy to work with someone and have the look of amazement appear on their face when a chronic pain has just dwindled away to nothing. Although it’s tempting to take the credit for ‘healing’ them, I have to tell the truth and let them know that it’s their own body getting the message of where their energetic balance point is and engaging their own homeostatic mechanisms to bring them back to that balance

No comments:

Post a Comment